We have been using this recipe for the last four months and our two miniature schnauzers just love it! They eat every piece and lick their bowls clean. Just an FYI, we do add a little kibble in with this mixture. I’m old school and think they should have a little crunch in every meal. Also make sure you chop up everything nice and small especially for smaller dogs.
With pet food recalls popping up left and right, it’s never been more important to know how to make your own pet food. And when it’s this easy, there’s no reason you can’t make it every week!
Using the slow cooker, you can throw in all your ingredients in the morning, then set it and forget it. You can’t really overcook it either, since it’s fine if it gets a little mushy. Plus, it’s great knowing exactly what you’re feeding your pups, where your ingredients come from, and which nutrients they’re getting.
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, chopped into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- Place ground beef in slow cooker and top with rice, beans, squash, carrots and peas.
- Pour in 4 cups of water, then stir everything together.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 3.
- Turn off heat and cool completely before serving.
Give this recipe a try for yourself and let us know what you think!